Happy Groundhog Day! There’s no better occasion to check on the “weather report” for digital marketing as 2017 gets rolling. Will there be sunny or cloudy skies ahead for digital platforms, tools and practices?
As you’ll you see, marketers will encounter some interesting shifts on the digital horizon this year:
- Facebook will wrestle with fake news. Fake news, analytics errors and issues surrounding ad serving will force Facebook to solve the problem of cleaning up the environment and rebuilding the trust lost with advertisers. Until then, advertisers will be shifting their ad dollars elsewhere.
- Video gets its due. Continued improvements with speed, access and delivery are easing the burden of video consumption. Video will be the medium of choice for content creators in 2017.
- Mobile really does become first. Google’s 2016 search algorithm changes plus users’ continued shift to mobile will demand that communicators pay attention to the user experience they are creating.
- Analytics goes from crawl to walk. Companies in the B2B space invested heavily in getting their analytics in line in 2016. 2017 will see the maturation continue, developing processes and governance to ensure consistency and accuracy. Communication managers will continue to evolve how they use data to better inform decision making.
- Marketing technology matures. B2B companies will also evaluate their marketing technology investment and begin pushing to grow beyond using it as just an email and reporting tool.